Sunday, February 8, 2009

Happy Birthday to me!


     Once you be come a mom, your birthday is never quite the same.  Gone are the birthday traditions of no chores, sleeping in and enjoying meals cooked by someone else.  In fact, especially when your big day is during the week,  it is life as usual.  Don't get me wrong, my husband is great but, not much he can do when he is working all day.
     Well, I decided to do something about it.  I realized last year that I didn't want to be disappointed when my day started and ended like every other day.  I also realized that it was perfectly ok for me to take matters into my own hands.  I admit I drew some inspiration from my friend Amanda.  She too realizes that birthdays are a big deal, and is not afraid to throw her own party.  I love that.
     So, last year I started a new birthday tradition.   I decided to invite some of my friends to go to lunch with me.  This may not seem like a very big deal or it may be even a little lame but, let me tell ya, it has been so much fun!  I am sure to pick a place with a playground so the kids can roam and play.  Although the food isn't always my top choice.  This decision has created a wonderful birthday situation.  Enjoying quality time with great friends.
     I have also been able to do other things to help set the day apart.  Last year, I cleaned the entire house from top to bottom (the night before) so that I would have very little house work that needed to be done (plus isn't it great to wake up to a clean house?).  I also had my mom babysit for a couple of hours so I could go shopping...All by myself.  And this year, I even got some take out for the kids and I so, I didn't have to cook.   All in all, A very good way to go.  I highly recommend giving yourself a birthday gift.

*As a side note- The picture above is of the cake that my friend Whitney made for me, it was amazing! Thanks Whitney!

3 comments:

Lisa Moore said...

I'm usually pretty satisfied if my birthday is at least not a bad day. I'm not really much into my birthday but I like all those ideas and I'm thinking I just might try those out this year! Why not treat yourself a little? We all deserve it! Glad you had a good day.

Señora Daiana said...

So true. I like the whole going to lunch with friends. I think I'm going to start doing it. I love giving myself gifts on my bday. Happy Late Birthday sounds like you had a good day.

Amanda said...

omygoodness! I am so glad you had a good birthday and that you planned to make it just like you want it! yay! Birthdays really are a good reason to do something to spoil yourself... Why not? (Please remind me of this logic in a few years when I am totally 'in the mommy grind!') :)